Skyhook Games is a well-known game studio in the NW of England with a long-standing history of simulation games. As well as this we have created our own IP Lawn Mowing Simulation and have an established in-house outsourcing team covering AAA and AA games worldwide. Skyhook Games is expanding and looking for a speculative and contract remote VFX artist to join our team. This role is offered onsite at our location in Liverpool as well as hybrid remote or remote UK.
What will you do?
As a VFX Artist on the team, you will be expected to work with the Lead Artist and Art Director alongside Designers, other Artists, Programmers and Producers on a day-to-day basis, conceptualising and creating a wide range of real-time visual effects for our games that achieve production and quality goals for our projects.
You will be expected to estimate timescales for your tasks in advance and deliver milestones on time.
You will be an experienced and passionate individual with experience in PC and console games and a published title under your belt in visual effects. You will need to be extremely creative, but also able to apply logic and analytical thought to the medium. You will also be able to communicate your ideas well both verbally and in writing, and take pride in seeing your ideas come to fruition over the development process.
- Conceptualise and create high quality game specific VFX, compliant with game design and vision
- Create effects using packages provided (Maya, Photoshop, UE5)
- Liaise with Technical Designers, Graphic Coders and Animation with regards to placing and triggering gameplay-specific VFX
- Ensure work/level hits all memory and frame rate guides/restrictions for all platforms required
- Work closely with other departments on effects heavy levels to balance frame-rate
- Understand that changes are part of the pipeline
- Attend regular WIP review (and present all concept and references if used)
- Feedback any concerns of design impact
- Conduct research to keep up-to-date with industry advancements and best fit technologies
What skills do you need?
- VFX with particles including smoke, fire, water, explosions, weather and environmental effects, animation, make-up, power-ups, magic, character effects
- Excellent communicator in English
- Good Photoshop editing skills for creating texture effects for use with the particle systems
- Good working knowledge and proficiency of a 3D application, preferably Maya
- Good understanding of in-house tools and software used in development
- Practical and methodical approach to both technical and creative problem-solving
- Excellent artistic ability
- Works well independently
- Dedicated to projects / tasks
- Flexible approach and adapts easily
- Works well under pressure and meets deadlines
- Experience with fluid simulation tools (e.g. FumeFX) would be a plus
- Unreal scripting, shader creation
- Zero crunch
- Great work-life balance
- Xmas and New Year’s closure
- Established remote working
- Contract work
- Small agile art team with fast feedback process
Skyhook Games are an equal opportunities employer and is committed to having a diverse workforce and inclusive environment. Reasonable adjustments will be made for candidates with a disability.
To apply please forward your CV and VFX Showreel / VFX Website or VFX Art Tests to [email protected]