Hours of work
35 hours a week (Flexi-time at 7 hours each day. Core hours are 10am-4pm.)
Location of work
Must be commutable and able to come into the Liverpool studio as an when required.
Job Description/ Purpose
Skyhook Games is a well established game studio based in the NW of England. We are currently expanding and looking for a Lead Game Designer. As a full time Lead Game Designer you will handle managing, planning and co-ordinating the day-to-day game design activities of our latest project. While also managing the daily needs of the design team, you will help to mentor the team to increase the overall skill base. This role is offered to candidates based in the UK onsite, hybrid or remote.
The Lead Designer will work closely with the Game Director in taking ownership of all aspects of games design for the project in question. This includes establishing the mood, mechanics, narrative and ensuring the overall high quality of the game.
You will work with all disciplines to gather information, feedback and priorities to ensure that quality and deadlines are met.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
Key duties which include:
- Game Design: Playing a key role in reviewing game play to ensure player experience is maximised. Driving gameplay and content design through all development phases from Pre-Production to EA launch, and beyond.
- Vision Ally: Working closely with the projects vision carrier to push the creative vision of the game with other internal departments.
- Quality Assurance: Overseeing and providing critical feedback on the design of game features/mechanics, level/quest design and gameplay, while working with the Game Director to identifying areas for improvements.
- Documentation: Create and maintain clear and concise design documentation.
- Project Management: Collaborating with production to help plan sprints and feature teams. Contributing to weekly update meetings and working with other departments to ensure deadlines are met. Estimates tasks and ensures team delivers high quality design work to that schedule.
- Team Building: Providing clear and concise feedback and allocating tasks to department members. Highlighting to the Game Director or Head of Design on department members area for growth and improvement.
- Team Leader: Acting as lead, mentor and role model across the projects design team.
Any additional duties/ expectations as an employee of the company above and beyond specific job role
- Proven experience of working as a Senior or Lead Designer.
- Strong communicator with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Jira and Confluence
- Experience managing and mentoring a design team.
- Working knowledge of Unreal Engine.
- Have a solid understanding of all aspects of game design.
- Full cycle experience as a Senior Designer on at least one commercially released game.
- Unreal 5 experience.
- Experience developing Simulation games.
- Experience developing open-world games.
- Multiplayer development experience.
- Experience with games that offer Mod support.
- Fantastic team culture and working environment
- Zero crunch culture
- Flexible working hours
- 25 days holiday +Bank Holidays, rising with length of service each year
- Holiday buy back scheme
- Annual pay reviews
- Discretionary bonuses
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Contributory workplace pension scheme
- Referral bonus scheme
- Parental leave
- Company Events, including social events, industry events, charity events and more
- Continual training and development for all staff
- Paid parking
- Cycle to work scheme
- Christmas-New Year shutdown
- Annual, confidential financial wellbeing checks
To apply please forward your CV to [email protected]
Skyhook Games are an equal opportunities employer and is committed to having a diverse workforce and inclusive environment. Reasonable adjustments will be made for candidates with a disability.